Academically and/or Intellectually Gifted Program
gifted program serves students who have a definite or extreme need for
curriculum differentiation. Formal identification usually starts in the
third grade. There is a nomination period each fall. Buncombe County
uses multiple criteria to determine the degree of need for
differentiation. The criteria include: aptitude (intelligence) testing,
achievement testing, teacher observation of typical gifted
characteristics, teacher documentation of the need for differentiation,
student grades, and work samples. Services provided are listed below.
- Cluster grouping (5 or more gifted students) with teachers with training in gifted education
- Curriculum Differentiation by the classroom teachers with consults by Gifted Specialist
- Gifted Reference and Curriculum Materials - available for loan to teachers K-5
- Enrichment Groups with the Gifted Specialist with curriculum designed for gifted students:
· 5th Grade -
"Journeys" - a concept-based unit on immigration; use digital
technology as a tool to research and communicate information; Caesar's
English lessons 13-20; DeBono's Six Thinking Hats (review); Gifted Awareness; Algebraic thinking activities
· 4th Grade -
"Our World, Our Future" - a concept-based unit on the environment,use
digital technology as a tool to research and communicate information,
Caesar's English lessons 5-12; DeBono's Six Thinking Hats (introduction); Gifted Awareness; Algebra - Hands On Equations (level 1);
· 3rd Grade -
People Making a Difference: a concept-based unit on heroes; use digital
technology as a tool to research and communicate information; Caesar's English lessons 1-4; Gifted Awareness; Algebra Thinking First Experiences
- Understanding by Design - using "Big Idea" Concepts, Generalizations, Questions
- 1-2 talent development - weekly "Problem Solvers" for students who show a need for enrichment
- K- AIG Teacher will collaborate with the Kindergarten Teachers as needed.
- Progress Report to parents detailing study topics & student progress for those identified students.
- Nominations for Gifted Services, testing, and review of need for differentiation
Questions or concerns-Contact email@example.com or call 670-5028ext 1421.
Please check out this AIG Plan Power Point Presentation for information about the AIG program:
To view the entire AIG Plan for Buncombe County Schools click here: